Bylaws for the Central Texas “Lone Star” Chapter of the Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals can be found by clicking on the following link:
Chapter Bylaws: Lone Star Chapter Bylaws 12-21-17 (in PDF format)
If you have specific questions, we invite you to contact the chapter President, Vice President, or Secretary.
Officer Position Descriptions & Duties:
- President: The president, elected to serve one year, presides over Chapter meetings and interfaces with other chapters, the Alliance, and other environmental organizations. All committees report to the President, who is responsible for day-to-day Chapter management. In the absence of the Treasurer, the President shall disburse funds to pay Chapter obligations.
- Vice-President (President-Elect): The vice-president, who is elected to serve one year and expected to serve as President the following year, presides over Chapter meetings in the absence of the President and ensures the development and execution of an appropriate annual educational program for the Chapter.
- Secretary: The secretary, who is elected to a term of two years in alternating years from the Treasurer, documents Chapter meetings, maintains and updates Chapter records and mailing lists, documents Chapter-sponsored training, and manages mailing of official notices to the membership.
- Treasurer: The treasurer, who is elected to a term of two years in alternating years from the Secretary, documents Chapter membership, manages the Chapter’s financial affairs, maintains the Chapter’s financial records, mails invoices, pays obligations, collects receivables, makes bank deposits, and interfaces with applicable government entities to maintain the Chapter’s nonprofit and corporate status.
- Immediate Past President: The responsibility of this unelected position, which is assumed by the previous year’s President, is to recruit Chapter members and assist the Board of Directors in achieving Chapter objectives.
About the Board of Directors:
The Lone Star Chapter is governed by a Board of Directors (the Board) of at least seven members including the four elective Officers (as detailed above), the immediate past President, and at least two Directors-At-Large.
All Directors shall be Members in good standing with the Lone Star Chapter. The Directors-At-Large shall be elected to a one-year term.
The Board annually plans and carries out the Chapter’s Operating Plan. This responsibility includes:
- Setting objectives
- Developing a yearly calendar of activities
- Developing an annual budget
- Setting dues for each classification
- Any other planning that will forward Chapter growth (Achieved by service on Chapter Committees – please see the About Us section of this website for more information.)
Note: President and Vice President must hold a hazardous materials management related certifying credential recognized by the Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals (AHMP) and be in good standing with the AHMP National Chapter. This typically means you must have your CHMM, PE, PG, CSP, or similarly recognized credential and be a member of the Lone Star and National Chapter to hold the respective position.
Secretary, Treasurer, and Directors-At-Large must be in good standing with the Lone Star Chapter. It is highly encouraged but members serving in these positions need not have their CHMM credential.
Elections for Officers and Directors shall be held on an annual basis prior to the last regular meeting of the Lone Star Chapter in the current term. The new term of office will begin on January 1 of the following year.
Officer & Board nominations are typically accepted electronically. Information regarding elections is sent to Chapter members in good standing.
The following positions are expected to be open for nomination Fall 2018:
- Vice President (single year service in 2019; president-elect in 2020)
- Treasurer (2 year term, 2019-2020)
- Board of Directors (multiple positions, single-year terms)
The ballot of nominees will be announced via email and posted on this page.
Election results will be announced at the Chapter’s November meeting (tentatively set for Nov. 7, 2018).
Anyone wishing to run for election can speak with the current officer or Board of Directors if you’d like to know more or if you have additional questions. We highly encourage you to consider getting involved in continuing the growth and successful development of the Lone Star Chapter!